Thursday, July 10, 2008

Melendez Family Reunion 08

The Melendez Family does the same thing for the 4th of July every year. Same park. Same people. Same food. Same games.......... and I love it!
Dad is the oldest living brother out of 8 siblings. They call him the "Godfather." We have so many cousins I have lost count.

We are one Big Mexican Family. But it is Mi Familia.

Same People

It varies a little from year to year but you will always find Mom and Dad and the the Uncles there waiting for you.
Same Food
Carne Asada with tortillas and salsa. Mom did make a new dessert this year, Dump Cake. I think it is going to become a tradition now because we all loved it. The ice cream man hangs around all day honking his horn until we buy the kids what they want. They get so sticky!Same Games
It is not a Melendez Family Reunion without a Baseball game. Everyone plays. My dad used to be an amazing player! I loved watching him play. We even have a retired professional in our clan.
The water balloon toss, sac race and the three legged race are among our favorites. We had to divide the kids into age groups because there are so many of them.The pinata line was the longest I had ever seen it. All the kids wanted a crack at it.For a big Mexican Family like ours it wouldn't be the 4th of July without a little musica from a Mariachi Band. After we said our goodbyes we headed home and parked outside of Legoland to watch the fireworks. There were a lot of people who had the same idea. A nice lady gave the kids some glow sticks to use as sparklers. It was a fabulous day!
Just kidding ~ These are our fireworks (swiped the Lady Liberty photo from a friend's blog)



5 comments:

Jessica said...

Tradition, Tradition!! I love them. How fun to have such fun ones!

shayla said...

What a great tradition. Where's the pinata?! Kate looks like she whacked that ball to heaven with that stance!

queenieweenie said...

Such a fun tradition! I love that the kiddos love it and want to go every year.

The pic of Kate and Payton is crackin' me up!

Hazen5 said...

I love the song (We Are Familia, in spanish)!!!! I love our traditions and are so glad the kids love them too.

kimmie kimmie coconut said...

Oh my gosh, you have such a fun family! Love the Hispanic tune too!