Friday, January 16, 2009

Chicken Soup for My Soul

It has been a few years since I taught High School. I taught for five years, became pregnant with my first daughter Kate, took the year off and went back to teach for another two years for a total of seven years. Those were such fun times for Chad and me. I taught Spanish and I was in charge of the Cheerleading program.
After graduating
from Brigham Young University I was hired on at Timpview H.S. in Provo not far from the BYU campus. When I began teaching I had high hopes that I would be able to make a small difference in my students lives. To be completely honest it was my students that made all the difference in my life. Have you ever had a job where you wake up happy every morning and can't wait to get to work? I loved teaching! I loved my students!
One of my former Spanish students
posted a comment on my blog and asked if I would email my address to her. She wrote that she wanted to send something to me. I thought to myself, "Oh how sweet, Leah must want to send me a Christmas card." I remembered Leah as a gifted Spanish student who picked up the language quickly. She had always excelled in my class. I had no idea that she suffered from depression and anxiety attacks and was failing most of her other classes because she just sort of checked out her senior year. I was shocked when I found out that she would not be graduating with her class and felt a sadness because she was truly a talented young lady. I thought that she would definitely continue in Spanish and go on to do amazing things in her life. I am happy to report that Leah is doing amazing things in her life, she just took a short detour.
I had gone to Utah for Christmas and had been home almost a week when my neighbor came by with a package that had been sitting on our porch while we were away. Chad opened the box and pulled out three "Chicken Soup for the Soul, Teens Talk High School" books. There was a note on the top book which read, "Michele I think you will like the story on page 226." So I opened the book and began reading a story entitled, Pomp and Happenstance. The story is about an incident that occurred between Leah and myself almost 10 years ago. I started crying and Chad and my neighbor Michelle asked what was wrong. I handed them each a book and they started reading. I had always hoped that I could help my students in some way, but you never know what impact a simple act of kindness can make. Leah had written about an experience we had together at the Senior Commencement Ceremony held at the BYU Marriot Center many years ago. She even used my first and last name in the book. I remember our experience as if it were yesterday but had no idea how much it meant to her.
Thank you Leah for the beautiful words you wrote in your story. I feel it an honor to have been your teacher and friend. I will cherish the book and our memories together. I love you!

5 comments:

queenieweenie said...

what a treasure to know what a difference you made in somebody's life....priceless...BTW-I want to read it!!!

Hazen5 said...

That story was so sweet. Thanks for making me read it out loud, You probably couldn't understand me while I was blubbering. I know you are a special person but, now every teenager will know it too!

brooke said...

You must've hit me at just the right time, cause this story made me get emotional. That must've felt so great to know that even so far down the road, you are still blessing others' lives.

Karyn Parry said...

I am not surprised that you had a great affect on your students. I have been blessed to see first hand what you can offer to a young woman! Way to be a great example. Sean and I always say want a sweet lady you are.

I look forward to reading the story Leah wrote.

HEY that picture you posted looked very familiar. That is the MICHELE I remember from BYU.

Marcie said...

What a great story with a perfect "ending."