Whaaaaaat????? Feelings of Shock, dismay, fear, and inadequacy raced through my head. Am I still breathing? Am I still seated upright in my chair?
Wasn’t expecting that one at all. "I only came in for tithing settlement Bishop!"
Have you seen my resume? I only know how to do Young Women! I have never served in Relief Society. All right, that is not entirely true. I served as R.S. President in my student ward at BYU. Totally different ball game. This is a HUGE WARD! Where is the candid camera? Am I being Punked? Where is Ashton?
“Are you serious?” Those were the first words that came out of my mouth after being asked to serve as the Lake San Marcos Relief Society President. How embarrassing is that!
On December 7th Chad, the kids and I attended our annual Tithing Settlement. After we had concluded the Bishop asked if the kids could wait outside for a moment so he could talk with us privately. My first thought was, there must be someone in the ward that needs a little extra help this Christmas. I was happy that we had our checkbook with us. Then the mood became somber and the Bishop became emotional and then asked if I would serve as the new Relief Society President. I examined his face carefully. He looked serious. I wasn’t tying to be sarcastic when I asked if he was serious. It was an honest question. All of my insecurities rushed to the forefront of my mind. I don’t think he is asking the right person. I am not qualified.
My brother-in-law Rob has a fun personality and is one who enjoys a good joke, but as I stared at his face I knew that it was Bishop Hazen asking the question not Rob. I wanted to say, How Could You Do This To me, but I knew that he wasn’t the one responsible. I was being given the opportunity to stretch, to increase my faith and live what I claim to believe. Couldn’t I just write a check out to someone in need? That would be so much easier. I wasn’t being asked to help out just one person, I was being asked to help many people. Aaargh! I am so selfish. How am I going to balance daily life, my family, and this calling? I am going to get so fat from all the stress!
Chad was so excited for me. Why does he have to be so supportive all the time? Why can’t he just tell the Bishop NO for me.
In the following weeks I observed the sisters in the ward. I started feeling an increased love for them. I watched them interact and serve one another in a loving, caring manner. “They will help me in my new call”, I thought to myself. “They love the Lord and they have a testimony of His gospel. That is what moves them to serve, just like it moves me. I can do this with their help.” I can do this with the help of a loving Father in Heaven. I am His daughter. He wants me to succeed. He knows I will make mistakes, yet He still trusts me. I must rely on Him as I strive to rise to this new call. I must stretch myself. I guess I was feeling a little too comfortable.
The idea of this new call is becoming real to me. It was such a foreign, abstract idea that I couldn’t wrap my head around. The idea has made its way into my head and now it has inoculated into my heart. Yeah~ did you notice the Big Word? Do I have to use them now that I am President? I hope not. I hope I am accepted for who I am. I hope the sisters will see that I am trying very hard to learn my responsibilities and serve with all of my heart, might, mind and strength. I am not an eloquent speaker and I DO NOT enjoy speaking publically but I will put forth my best effort. The Lord will qualify me. I want to make my Father in Heaven proud.
Sister Berry who now serves as the Stake R.S. President always quoted her favorite scripture when she was our ward R.S. Pres. “…,but His hand is stretched out still….” 2 Nephi 19:12.
I have a new resolve to stretch to meet His hand. No more alligator arms. I hope that I can inspire each sister to do the same. I must start by being an example and what a better time to start than the beginning of a new year.
I have been reading the Church Handbook and spending a lot of time on LDS.org to learn as much as I can about Relief Society. Hellooooo! Did you know that Young Women is basically a mini Relief Society. They have Personal Progress and we have Home, Family, and Personal Enrichment. Leave it to the Lord and His church to prepare you for such things. There is of course much more to the R.S. Organization, like Visiting Teaching and Welfare. Line upon Line.
Plus, and this is a really big Plus, I have the most amazing group of women that will be serving with me, women whom I greatly admire. Erin Uda, Leslie Sheffield, Nicole Toomer and Liz McKnight. Yes, there are three counselors. I told you that our ward was HUGE. I wasn’t just making that up. I love this presidency already and I know that we will create a strong bond as we serve together.
I am one that has a hard time asking for help. I am going to have to get over that quickly. So, if you wouldn’t mind remembering my family and me in your prayers it would be greatly appreciated.
My favorite scripture that was read by my Mother at my Farewell before leaving on my mission is found in Doctrine & Covenants 84: 88.
And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.
Hi, I’m back. I wrote all of that a week ago and since then I have been sustained and set apart. I am feeling more at peace. The blessing that Bishop Hazen gave to me on Sunday has given me comfort.
Attending the temple and serving there has also given me strength. I wish I could share with you what my patriarchal blessing promises me but let's just say I should have seen this call coming.
I was a mess on Sunday but the sisters and ward members have been so supportive. I asked Chad to take a photo of me after church. I still had red eyes and my face is blotchy but I wanted to compare that photo with the one I will take on the day of my release in a few years.
Yesterday I met with Sister Laura Berry, our Stake Relief Society President, for more training. She is truly inspired! I can’t wait to meet with my Presidency on Thursday and get to work.
The errand of Angels is given to women!
Michele
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Merry Christmas, You're the New Relief Society President!
Posted by Michele at 6:13 AM
Labels: Michele 09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
I feel so HONORED to be first to comment.
When you were called on Sunday, I wasn't suprised...my first thought was, "Of course!" You will be perfect Michelle. You have one of the biggest hearts of anyone I know and you are amazingly talented.
I love you!
I am SO happy to hear of this wonderful news! You truly will be an amazing leader for the Relief Society of the LSM Ward. You were always a great example to me.
after reading that Michele....that is EXACTLY why you were put in at prez!!!! So yearning to listen to the promptings of the spirit yet still so humble and .....
FO REAL! Love you!
You will be fantastic! You have so much love for people and that is what qualifies one to serve. I remember when I was leaving for my mission, everyone said "if you truly LOVE the people you serve, you will be successful." I found that to be so true and I believe that to be true in any calling -- therefore, you will succeed. My prayers are with you!
Love, Jessica
Hold on a second, I can't type with these tears blurring my vision! I am so grateful for you and for all that you have taught me. Now it is time to share you with others because they will benefit from you just as I have. I love you sister!
I echo Allison--the call made complete sense to me- And like I told you before--can't think of a more fitting individual to lead and guide. I am just honored to be part of that 'fold!' Still sending loves, good thoughts and prayers your way!!!!
ps now I know why the silly glitter party was so refreshing for you! Some down home fun amidst the heavy stuff going on in your head while no one else knew for a MONTH !~?~!
Michele - you will be amazing! I can't think of a better person to take this on. You will do so much for all of us just by example.
Michele, Consuela, Chicka, Mamasita
How many other nicknames has Ted given you? By the way, Ted's kidlet #2 in arriving in July!
Well, I'm not surprised at your recent new calling. Michele, I've known you for a long time and you are awesome at whatever you do. As I was reading the blog, it was my emotions all over again. I was called into the Bishopric a few months ago! Talk about a shocker!With the help of others and especially the Lord, there's not a lot we can't do. You'll be awesome! And when it comes time to be released, you will look back with a deeper love for the women of your ward than you ever thought possible.
Looking forward to getting the families together soon! Keep in touch.
I absolutely adore you Michele! You have my love and support ... always!!
Michele, you will be so wonderful! :)
I think you will be absolutely terriffic -- really!
I do admit that I am feeling a bit more grateful to be able to teach my 14-15 year old Sunday school class -- I'm not smug, just grateful! :)
You can do it!
Congratulations! I am so excited for you! You will be amazing, there is no one better qualified! I just wish I was there to see you in action! You will be wonderful! Love, Geneal
Michelle add me to your blog baby!! It is gkevans.blogspot.com. See you later!! Kristin
I just want to tell you that i can't think of a better person to be the next RS Pres. than you! And I'm not just saying that! You have such a big heart!!!!We all love you and You will do an amazing job!!!
Michele! I haven't kept up in the blogging world! RS President! You will be so wonderful! You ARE so wonderful! I know exactly how you feel about the shock of the calling and then the peace that settles in and the overwhelming love for the sisters in your ward. I was just released about the time you were called. How funny is that?! It was the most amazing three years of my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Call me when you get a minute in your busy new life! I'd love to chat!
Michele...you have always been amazing! And you've always been able to do hard things! You are a natural leader with a loving heart! You will be wonderful! Prayers for you...but I know you will be blessed!
You will be the BEST Relief Society President EVER!!! I'm not even worried a little bit :) I also got a new calling, I'm in the Stake Young Women's Presidency, life is crazy!
Post a Comment