Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Pageant of the Masters

During the Summer Season Laguna Beach presents "The Pageant of the Masters." It is the most famous attraction at it's annual Festival of the Arts. My Mom and sister both raved about how amazing the Pageant was so when my girlfriend Monee told me she had found some great tickets on line I told her to count me in.
Our first stop was The Chart House in Dana Point. We had ocean
front seating because it was Trent's B-day (Monee's Hubby). The food was great but it was the Hot Chocolate Lava Cake with Godiva Chocolate Liqueur, molten center, vanilla ice cream, served with warm chocolate sauce and Heath Bar Crunch that made me excited.
We were smart to have dined outside of Laguna Beach because the city was really crowded since it was the last night of the Pageant.
What is the Pageant of the Masters you might ask. Ninety minutes of "living pictures" - art re-creations of classical and contemporary works with real people posing to look exactly like their counterparts in the original pieces.
It was held in an outdoor amphitheater with a professional orchestra, original score, live narration, intricat
e sets, sophisticated lighting...Yada, Yada, Yada.....lets just say it was Spectacular!
Chad brought binoculars so that we could see the actors close up. They did not move a muscle, although we could see a few chests move. I guess they have to breath. Some of the poses required great athleticism and strength.
"The Last Supper" mural by Leonardo da Vinci is the Pageant's traditional finale. It was definitely my favorite living picture or "Tableaux Vivant."
After the Pageant ended we strolled through the art exhibits. The weather was perfect. No jacket required.
Thanks Gardner's for such a fun and unique evening!


6 comments:

Brooke Malia Mann said...

I LOVE Pageant of the Masters. I remember how completely blown away I was the first time I saw it.
Pageant + hot lava cake= heaven!
About Twilight...prepare to not be able to put it down, and you WILL fall for Edward. Ahh, Edward. xoxo

queenieweenie said...

Love the Pageant! The best part IS the DaVinci. So glad you got to go. We always used to pack a picnic...lava cake sounds better.

Hazen5 said...

I am so sad we missed it with you guys! Next time. It's probably good we didn't go, Rob would have tried to do something to make the Painting Actors "break character"!!!

kimmie kimmie coconut said...

Oh my gosh I have heard all about this for years and have always forgotten about it! I need to remember this for next year! Thanks for sharing, what a great thing to be able to do!

Amy Proctor Timmerman said...

I'm with Rob - I would want to do things to make them flinch. Sounds like fun and we LOOOOOVVVVEE the Chart House in Dana Point!

brooke said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to go to this! I'm SO going next year! I keep forgetting when during the year it is. Looks like you had fun!